Children’s health is essential for them to grow into healthy adults and have a full life. There are three basic components to child health: prevention of communicable diseases through immunization, early detection of developmental problems through regular check-ups, and promotion of healthy habits for both boys and girls.
Promoting healthy habits for boys and girls is important for several reasons:
– It is easier for children to learn healthy habits in childhood, so they are better able to internalize them and maintain them throughout their adult lives.
– Healthy habits prevent disease in adults and help a person to be healthy in all dimensions: physical, mental, social and others.
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as a state of physical, mental and social well-being. Therefore, it may be more correct to speak of a healthy lifestyle, rather than a healthy life.
What is a Healthy Habit?
A healthy habit is a behavior or conduct that we adopt and that positively affects our physical, mental and social well-being. In general, healthy habits are related to food, hygiene and sports.
If you want your sons and daughters to develop healthy habits, you can follow a series of steps or guidelines:
– Write down on a paper or computer document the healthy habits you want your sons and daughters to develop. They need to be specific and achievable.
– Consider how these new habits will affect the children’s lives.
– Create a fun environment for your sons and daughters to learn these habits easily. You can use games, for example.
– Reward their progress and do not punish their mistakes. It’s important that children feel comforted as they gradually develop healthy habits and that they don’t feel guilty for small mistakes or setbacks.
Healthy Habits Ideas for Children
Maybe you need some ideas for healthy habits for boys and girls, so we’ve come up with a few that you can start doing today:
1.Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Healthy eating is about including all nutrients, but in the right proportions, paying special attention to sugars and fats. The key is to get them to eat:
– More fruits and vegetables. You need to get to the five daily servings of fruits and vegetables. For example, your sons or daughters may not like vegetables, but they do like sweets. To get them in the habit of eating vegetables, you can have them help you cook them or prepare them in a fun way.
– Less protein. For example, they could eat meat three times a week and fish three times a week.
– More grains. Bread, rice or pasta are also essential in the diet.
– Less fast food. It is best to avoid it because of its high fat content.
2.Drink water. Water is not only important to hydrate our bodies, which are made up largely of water, but also to eliminate toxins. A good option for children are natural fruit juices like orange or apple.
3.In addition to nutrition, sports are essential for the proper development of children. Children’s physical activity increases their performance in school. You can plan physical activities such as walks in the mountains or soccer games in the park, the main thing being that your sons and daughters do not see this as an obligation, but as an activity to be enjoyed.
4.Watch less TV or use less computer. Many children spend hours and hours in front of the television or computer, playing games or watching cartoons. It is advisable to replace these activities with other healthy habits for children, such as reading or crafts, which are healthier and with which they can learn.
5.Have good hygiene habits. Hygiene is essential to avoid health problems, so we must teach our children healthy habits such as washing their hands before eating, brushing their teeth after each meal, or taking a shower or bath every day.
In short, it’s about changing habits a little so that our sons and daughters are healthier and can face the daily challenges with energy and good humor. Do you have any other healthy habits for children? Remember to share a comment below!