– Garden toys for children from 18 months to 4-5 years
– Games for children from 4 to 12 years
– Games and leisure activities for adults
The garden play equipment range is vast, from the simple swing set that hangs from a tree to the large multipurpose play station. The choice depends on the age of the children and the budget.
Playground equipment for children from 18 months to 4-5 years
The most suitable garden play equipment for the youngest children in the sandpit, the slide, and some swings.
The sandbox is suitable from the age of 18 months. It is an inexhaustible field of discovery for the youngest children, armed with a bucket, a shovel, and a collection of molds and containers. Commercially available models are made of either plastic or wood.
– Plastic sandboxes:
◦ They are often shaped like a double shell, one part of which can fold over the other to protect the sand from dirt and weather.
◦ When the shell is open, one of the two parts can receive water to combine the pleasures of sand and water.
– Wooden sandboxes:
◦ Larger than plastic bins, they are more suitable if two children are to play in them regularly together.
◦ Square or hexagonal are made of autoclave-treated wood but are best covered with a tarp in the wrong season.
◦ Some square models are particularly clever, with a sliding lid, each part of which folds halfway down to form a bench with a backrest
The slide is a delight for children aged 18 months or two years and up to about 10 years for the larger models.
– The garden models are plastic kits, solid and easy to assemble.
– Be careful to install them on a flat surface that is not too hard: a lawn or grassy area will cushion any rapid arrival.
– The landing area can also be covered with green foam rubber tiles, sold individually.
Baby swings are designed to be attached to a gantry and are safe for children from 12 months.
Of course, it is essential to supervise the child and check all the conditions given in the instructions (particularly the child’s weight and age).
Games for children aged 4 to 12 years
From 4 to 12 years old, this is the age of the gantries with their many apparatus, trampolines, zip lines, and large multi-game stations.
Made of wood or metal, the gantries are equipped with swings and various equipment (knotted rope, rope ladder, rings, trapeze, high bar).
– Inexhaustible source of play for years.
– Several children can play at the same time.
– Takes up a lot of floor space.
– Relatively expensive.
If the garden is small and limited space, it is still possible to buy a ladder or equipment (ladder, rope, etc.) to hang from trees: an aesthetic and inexpensive solution.
The trampoline is a popular game nowadays, representing both fun and sport.
To avoid bad falls and injuries, it is recommended to buy a trampoline with a safety net.
In any case, it is essential to have a minimum clearance of 2 meters around the trampoline.
– Both a game and a sport, allow children to exercise and develop flexibility and balance while jumping.
– Models that are large and sturdy enough can also be used by an adult.
– Takes up some floor space.
– Not the most aesthetic
– Can only accommodate one jumper at a time.
The Tyrolean traverse (or “cable car”) allows children to navigate acrobatically between two cables, either suspended by their hands or perched on a small seat. There are models from 15 to 30 meters extended, depending on the size of the garden.
– Exciting game.
– Relatively inexpensive.
– Aesthetically discreet.
– You need two suitable trees to install it.
– Generally only suitable for up to 10 years (depending on weight).
Large multi-purpose play stations
Multi-purpose play stations consist of a gantry with multiple apparatus, a slide, a treehouse, a climbing tower, and sometimes an inflatable play area.
– Inexhaustible source of games for years.
– Several children can play at the same time.
– Takes up a certain amount of floor space.
– Not always aesthetically pleasing (depending on the model).
– Some games can quickly become unsuitable when children grow up (slide quickly too small).
Having a treehouse in the garden is a dream cherished by all children, and often by very old children! This garden game has a special place in our imagination that a particular page is dedicated to it.
Games and leisure for adults
A garden can also be designed as a leisure area for adults. For example, it can be equipped with:
– a bowling alley;
– a miniature golf course.
Covered or open air, the bowling alley is an outdoor leisure area for the game of bowls. The dimensions of the playfield vary according to the game for which it was created:
– Breton bowls.
Its installation requires that the ground be flat, “rolling”, permeable, free of weeds, and correctly delimited. You can install it yourself or hire a professional.
Backyard mini golf
This game requires skill and concentration but is a great family game for all ages.
A small ball, hit with a “club”, must arrive in each “track” hole after having skillfully crossed an obstacle. A complete course consists of 6 to 18 lanes.
– A player has 6 strokes to get his ball in the hole and must score a 7th stroke penalty if he fails to do so before moving on to the next lane.
The game’s goal is to complete the entire course with a minimum of strokes.
There are various types of miniature golf courses:
– modular mini golf;
– portable mini golf;
– fixed mini golf.
Moreover, accessories (ball, scorecards, clubs) can be found on specialized websites.